[Dining in Johor Bahru] Cafes and eateries within walking distance from JB City Square Malaysia

by - Sunday, October 05, 2014

Sick of being stuck in City Square but with no transportation to get you out to other parts of JB?  Fret not, here's a guide on the 'walkable' places within reach right after you cross the JB custom! 



Starting its operations from 8am till 4pm daily, Restaurant Kam Long is well known to locals for its Fish Head Curry. Long queues formed way early before lunch and even though it's a blasting hot day, you can't drive away the locals' passion for some hot and spicy curry.

However, turnover was pretty fast, so I believe you don't have to wait for long

Only fresh Red Snappers are used daily. Curry was fragrant and slurpy thick, making a great companion with the white rice. Not overly spicy, the Fish Head Curry was served bubbling hot from the stove, mixed in with lady's fingers, cabbage, long beans, tofu skin and tau kee.

 Here's the order: 'Small' portion at RM 20 is pretty alright for sharing between 2 pax if you still wanna feel your stomach with other goodies. Rice (small) comes at RM 0.50 each.
Kam Long Fish Head Curry
Jalan Wong Ah Fook
80000 Johor Bahru, Malaysia 

A little 'gem' discovery along the way was the traditional Chinese old school bakery- Hiap Joo Bakery & Biscuit Factory. Buns are best consumed on the spot after purchase when still soft and piping hot! 

Baked in traditional stoves and ovens, the whole shop is powdered with the fragrance of wood and bread flour.  Breads sold are economically priced from RM3.50 and ranges from traditional flavors like red bean, kaya to all time favourites like sardine and ikan bilis.

Hiap Joo Bakery and Biscuit Factory (协裕面包西果厂)
13, Jalan Tan Hiok Nee, 80000 Johor Bahru
Opening Hours: Daily 8am to 6pm (closed on Sunday)

For some local taste back to its roots, head on to Salahuddin Bakery.

Talk about perverse heritage, the bakery has remained status quo from way back and stick to its original way of baking by oven with a huge kitchen right at the back of the shop front.

Pick up some curry puffs or bread loaves along the way~~
Salahuddin Bakery
26 Jalan Dhoby, Bandar Johor Bahru, 80000 Johor Bahru
On a budget but craving for some delicious chicken chop? Look no more than IT Roo Cafe! Branding itself as the 'Best Chicken Chop in Town', we were curious by how awesome they were.

 Priced at RM14, and comes served with black pepper or mushroom sauce, I must say it certainly lives up to it's name, in the JB area, at least. Chicken fillet was tender and grilled to slight crisp. Comes served with coleslaw and fried potatoes. I wanna return there again for their other items for sure!!
 Go ahead and try them out.

IT Roo Cafe Restoran
17 Jalan Dhoby, 80000 Johor Bahru
Opening Hours: Monday to Sunday 11am to 10pm


Walking straight from the Hiap Joo Bakery and Biscuit Factory, you will come across a big open space carpark and there stood something modern and distinctive from the surrounding shops. This is the Macro Vinatage Cafe. 
 Jalan Ibrahim, 80000 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Operating Hours 11:00 am – 10:00 pm

Thirsty? How about a quick drink at this container-styled cafe? Named Chaiwalla & Co. Container Cafe, located right across the Maco Vintage Cafe. 

I wouldn't exactly call them a cafe 'cause they serve mainly bubble tea, but it's a pretty cute concept.

Though refreshing, the drinks were ordinary and doesn't work for me. Tasted pretty much like any other ordinary bubble tea but much much sweeter. I had only asked for 50% sugar, which was their bare minimum level, else it would be 0% left to nothing, still it was way too sweet. 
 Left: Saffron Rose with Milk Tea and Grass Jelly,RM5.80 and right: Fresh Milk with Winter Melon and puddings RM6.80


Lot 2810, Tan Hiok Nee Street, 80000 Johor Bahru
Operating Hours
Mon – Thu: 12:00 – 00:00
Fri – Sat: 12:00 – 01:00 Sun: 12:00 – 00:00

Stop by a cafe for some authentic brew at Faculty of Caffeine. 

Flavoured Latte in Rose RM 9.50. Yes to a wake-me-up! 

Green Power RM 17.50 comes served with Avocado, Spinach, scrambled eggs and toasted bread. Makes a filling hearty meal and at half price from Singapore's cafe, it's value for money~~. 
Taste great as well. Power up!

Total bill comes up to a total of RM29.70 inclusive 10% service charge, the only site we encountered a service charge so far, but well all is fair for the quiet and soothing ambience, away from the hustle of the city. 
106, Jalan Trus
80000 Johor Bahru
opposite Galleria (Kotaraya), next to Plaza Seni

Last stop, we moved backed to City Square for some Mille Crepes by Humble Beginnings.
What started on first as an online business has grown on to a brick and mortar outlet since last year. 

Peanut Butter Blueberry crepe cake RM 9.90. Distinct layers of soft thin crepes layered with spreads of peanut butter and blueberry, making a perfect o-school match. Not overly sweet, this flavor is a winner for us.

Nutella Banana Crepe Cake RM9.90 was more ordinary in comparison but nonetheless comes packed with thick nutella cream and banana bites. Just as good~ 

 Upon a little googling, I found that they do send deliveries to Singapore! Click below on their site for details. I guess you can have your piece of cake even without travelling now. 
J6-05, Level 6, City Square
Johor Bahru 80000


Have you been to any of these places in JB before? Till next time~~

Follow me on Instagram: @jiahuimuses

You May Also Like

10 comments

  1. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Email us:(greenlightcapitalcorporation@gmail.com)

    Application Form:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Email us(greenlightcapitalcorporation@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Everybody,
      My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

      LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
      First name......
      Middle name.....
      2) Gender:.........
      3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
      4) Loan Duration:.........
      5) Country:.........
      6) Home Address:.........
      7) Mobile Number:.........
      8) Email address..........
      9) Monthly Income:.....................
      10) Occupation:...........................
      11)Which site did you here about us.....................
      Thanks and Best Regards.
      Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the list :) Am a little sick of City Square / KSL haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simply want to tell you that I am new to blogging and absolutely loved you're blog. Almost certainly I’m want to bookmark your blog. You surely come with exceptional articles. Thanks a lot for revealing your blog.

    Johor Bahru

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)Thank you


    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Contact Us At :urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everybody, My name is.Mrs.Juliet Quin. I live in Canada and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $ 54,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $ 54,000.00 Canada Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Juliet Quin that refer you to him. Contact Dr Purva Pius via email: reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM DR KELLY WILLIAMS LOAN FINANCE

    My Brothers and Sister all over the world, I am Mrs.Irene Query Wheat from Philippines ;i was in need of loan some months ago. i needed a loan to open my restaurant and bar, when one of my long time business partner introduce me to this good and trustful loan lender DR KELLY WILLIAMS that help me out with a loan, and is interest rate is very low , thank God today. I am now a successful business Woman, and I became useful. In the life of others, I now hold a restaurant and bar. And about 30 workers, thank GOD for my life I am leaving well today a happy father with three kids, thanks to you DR KELLY WILLIAMS Now I can take care of my lovely family, i can now pay my bill. I am now the bread winner of my family. If you are look for a trustful and reliable loan leader. You can Email him via,mail (financialgoodnews22@hotmail.com) Please tell him Mrs Irene Query Wheat from Philippines introduce you to him. THANKS


    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    First Name:
    Last Name:
    Next Of Kin:
    Date Of Birth:
    Marital Status:
    Address:
    Sex:
    Phone No:
    City:
    Zip Code:
    State:
    Country:
    Nationality:
    Weekly income:
    Occupation:
    Monthly Income:
    Amount Needed:
    Duration:
    Date of loan needed:
    Purpose of the loan:
    E-mail address:

    Regards.
    Managements
    DR KELLY WILLIAMS Lenders Finance Limited

    Contact Us At :financialgoodnews22@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. MY TESTIMONY FROM A LEGITIMATE MONEY LENDER

    Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs.Irene Query. I live in Philippines and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $150,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 2 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of$150,000.00 US. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Irene Query, that refer you to him. contact KELLY WILLIAMS,via email:(kellywilliawsfinancial@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Everybody,
      My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

      LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
      First name......
      Middle name.....
      2) Gender:.........
      3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
      4) Loan Duration:.........
      5) Country:.........
      6) Home Address:.........
      7) Mobile Number:.........
      8) Email address..........
      9) Monthly Income:.....................
      10) Occupation:...........................
      11)Which site did you here about us.....................
      Thanks and Best Regards.
      Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

      Delete
  8. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Email us:(flourishloancredite@gmail.com
    Application Form:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....
    Email us(flourishloancredite@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete